-->

Friday, September 18, 2009

French Custard Apple Tart

It is already feeling like Fall here in Maine. My husband and I enjoy walking through orchards and picking apples so I thought I would post an easy recipe for French Apple Tart. It is a creamy custard tart from the Normandy region of France.

French Apple Custard Tart

8-inch pie crust
1 lb apples (such as Golden apples)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 tbsp cognac or brandy
  • Preheat oven to 375° F
  • Peel, quarter, cut the apples into thin slices. Toss them in a bowl with 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon. Arrange them in the pie crust. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Then let cool.
  • Beat the egg and 1/2 cup of sugar until mixture is light, pale yellow. Beat in the flour, then whipping cream, and finally the brandy. Pour in the mixture over the apples.
  • Return to oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and return again to oven for 20 minutes.
  • Keep warm until ready to serve. Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. So simple (if you are a good cook), but so nice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds DELICIOUS.....and just in time for Fall.....I must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect. I was going to make a Tarte Tartin, but think I will switch to this.

    ReplyDelete