Tarte au Fromage
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream or crème fraîche
- 1 cup milk (preferably whole)
- mushrooms and fresh spinach (optional)
- 8 ounces gruyère, or other Swiss-type cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and the milk until thoroughly blended. Season with the salt and pepper, then add the cheese and stir until it is blended, Turn the mixture into the pre-baked pastry, and spread out the cheese evenly over the bottom of the pastry, top with mushrooms and fresh spinach you have lightly sauted in a bit of butter. Sprinkle the top with a small bit of nutmeg, and bake in the center of the oven until the filling is golden and puffed, and is completely baked through, about 30 minutes. To test, use a sharp knife blade placed into the center of the filling and if it comes out clean, the quiche is baked through. Remove the quiche from the oven and serve immediately.