Julia Child's Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 T lemon juice (plus a bit extra set aside)
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t dry or prepared mustard
- 1½ to 2¼ c of olive oil, salad oil or a mixture of each.
- 2 T boiling water
- Add the egg yolks and beat with wire whisk for 1 to 2 minutes until they are thick and sticky.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and mustard. Beat for 30 seconds more.
- While putting in the eggs, drop by drop,do not stop beating until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the drops of oil with a teaspoon. Keep your eye on the oil rather than on the sauce. Stop pouring and continue beating every 10 seconds or so, to be sure the egg yolks are absorbing the oil.
- Once 1/3 to 1/2 cup of oil has been incorporated, the sauce will thicken into a heavy creme and the potential for curdling is over. You can rest a moment and then, beat in the remaining oil by 1 to 2 T drop, blending it thoroughly after each addition.
- When the sauce becomes too thick and stiff, beat in drops of additional lemon juice to thin it out just a bit, then continue with the oil.
- Beat the boiling water into the sauce. This is will also prevent curdling. Season to taste.
- If the mayonnaise is not used immediately, scrape it into a storage container with cover and refrigerate.